Sep 18, 2010

SPECIAL: Confessions of a gay couple

Marius and Cristi are two young romanians who share life as a couple for 10 years. They met on the web. Cristi is from a small town and Marius from Bucharest. They had the opportunity to tell as all the details of their relationship, exclusively for StiriGay.ro.
"I don't know what attracted me at him but we loved to chat. He was so mysterious, not giving any information about him, not a picture and avoiding any chat too intimate", told us Marius.


They met in Cristi's town.
"I slipped the invite on the messenger. I didn't expected to come but he accepted instantly and then I become stressed about what will I'll tell to my parents. I was living with them at that time but they didn't knew that I was gay. I invented a story about a friend but I couldn't provide too many details because I didn't knew him at all. He came and I was waiting him at the train station. I was so nervous because it was the first meeting of that kind. I had all sorts of scenarios in my head: how is he, how is he looking, etc", remembered Cristi for StiriGay.ro.
After that visit, Cristi went to meet Marius in Bucharest and remained there.
"He was super scared. He didn't wanted to go out in the clubs, he was hiding all the time so that nobody can see him. Thank God he ended that", said Marius.
The relationship wasn't always like heaven. They passed thru a lot of tries, challenges, tests but they learned to overcome the troubles thru understanding and communication.
"We don't have a lot of friends from the gay community. We tried but all the time it ended bad. Either they started to gossip about us either they were making sexual offers to one of us. So we started to avoid all that", tells Marius.
"We went out to the clubs. It's a beautiful feeling to feel free to do anything you want without hiding from somebody and see that everybody around you are like yourself or at least they understand you. Of course we want to have gay friends. Maybe we will when we'll meet those couples that don't mix things and have just a beautiful friendship", confessed Cristi.
The moment when Cristi get out of the closet for his family is one of the hardest moments of his life.
He is sad when he remembers: "With my mother I didn't spoke for two years. She made me feel embarrassed about what I am. Even now she has opposite feelings. On a side she wants to put me in a psychiatry hospital because she thinks I can be cured of my gayness, on the other side she wants me to go to a far away country where I can't embarrass her. I am seeing her once a year and things between us are not the same. For many moments she isn't looking into my eyes. With my father I didn't spoke from that day. I don't know what feels a man after his parent dies but the pain from those days was terrible".
In Marius's case, his parents knew about him, they were dealing with his option but only as an affair, not as a stable relationship. From the moment that Marius and Cristi became a couple, Marius's parents tried everything they could to separate them.
"When they saw that it is nothing to break us apart, they launched a bomb: the house will be sold and they were moving to the countryside. They sold it, load the furniture into a truck and left Cristi, my brother that was in school in Bucharest and me in the middle of the street with luggage and no money. It was a strange and crazy situation those days", said Marius.
They were stubborn to remain in Romania although the things were not easy at all. Now they are working together in the same company. There were laughs, smiles, jokes but they are good in what they are doing so they gained respect in that company.
"From the day I told my parents about me, I am not hiding anymore. I had no reason to. I gained my freedom to be what I am. Maybe I was selfish telling them but now I am more calm. The cruelty of the people is unavoidable. You can feel it even if you are straight. The society feels the need to throw stones into somebody. If I wasn't gay, definitely they could found another things to hurt me. It's the way life is. It's all about how you catch these balls and how you respond to them", said Cristi.
There were moments when they were assaulted by "friends" that thought it's fancy to have gay buddies.
"We had a lot of so called friends. They were trying to expose themselves with us and started to treat us as monkeys in the ZOO. We were able to cut these bad behaviors and go on our way", told us Marius while smiling.
Asked if they want to marry, Marius said: "We'd love to as a show but what we really need is to find a way to protect each other from the days to come. We are not thinking much about the future, we like to let things go on it's way, but if tomorrow one of us is dying, our families will become a pain for the other one. I understand that we are an orthodox country, that the church does not recognize at all this community but legally it should be easier. We are together for 10 years and we are not sure what the law sais but this year we are going to find a way to do a will or a legal contract between us".
How do the two of them see the future?Cristi: "Usually we don't see it. We didn't programmed to stay together that much, we are not programming to stay for life, we are not programming anything. All we wanted was to be together and we are".
Marius: "I hope things will evolve as for now. People are becoming more understanding in a fast time. Practically, I can't complain I feel discriminated about my sexual orientation. If the authorities will adapt the laws even for a legal partnership, things will be super cool in Romania".

No comments:

Post a Comment